Monday, May 21, 2012

The Million Page Challenge 2012

This year I have teamed up again with my two middle school colleagues, Kristen Hearne and Monique German, to plan the Million Page Challenge for summer reading. We almost made the million last year!  We are using Edmodo to stay connected with our students, share book recommendations, post reading goals and continue our reading community outside of school. You can see my summer reading webpage on my school site here, including the reading log we are using. In addition, we are hosting a Get Caught Reading contest. Students can submit photos of themselves reading in interesting places. This is the photo I showed them as an example. My son and I posing in front of the real Ivan at Zoo Atlanta holding The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate.

One and Only Ivan

Today was my first visit to our elementary schools to share summer reading information with the 5th graders. This is one of my favorite visits because they are so excited about coming to the middle school next year and have lots of funny questions. By the time I got home this afternoon, one of the fifth graders had already signed up on Edmodo!
I shared several book trailers with the students to get them thinking about what they want to read. Here are a few of their favorites.
I start it off with something creepy to grab their attention.
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs



Then lighten it up with Chomp by Carl Hiaasen



A dash of romance for the girls and to make the boys roll their eyes.
Unearthly by Cynthia Hand



Finally, a strong finish with my new favorite book, Wonder by RJ Palacio.



I'm taking a cue from the amazing Library Girl and promoting summer reading to my teachers. I emailed an invitation to them asking that they participate in the summer reading programs and gave them a few book suggestions of professional books, adult best sellers and YA/MG novels. My list is a little random, but this is it.


Professional books:
Rigor Is Not a Four Letter Word by Barbara Blackburn
The Death and Life of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch
Disrupting Class by Clayton Christensen
Driven by Data: A Practical Guide to Improve Instruction by Paul Bambrick-Santoyo
Ten Things Every Writer Needs to Know by Jeff Anderson

Adult Bestsellers:
On the Island by Tracey Garvis Graves
The Road to Grace by Richard Paul Evans
A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
The 11th Hour by James Patterson
The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts

A few Young Adult and Middle Grade novels you might like:
Wonder by RJ Palacio
Chomp by Carl Hiaasen
The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy
Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth
The Selection by Kiera Cass

I would love to hear about your summer reading program!

No comments:

Post a Comment